Purchasing an air fryer can be difficult for first-time purchasers, with over 100 models available from dozens of well-known name brands as well as some generic clones in a variety of sizes.
The following advice and ideas are meant to address your concerns and questions about picking the best air fryer for your convenience.
We recommend the 5 or 6 quarts regardless of your household size if you batch cook or cook larger-sized dishes.
The following are some examples of the kind of items that the various sizes can accommodate:
Comparisons of Air Fryer Sizes
- Air fryers with capacities ranging from 3 to 5 quarts are pretty famous for diverse cooking applications.
- Air fryers with a capacity of 5.3 to 5.8 quarts are ideal for three to five members of households.
- Air fryers with a capacity of 2.2 to 3.0 quarts are excellent for one to two family members.
- The 6.0 to 16.0-quart sizes provide ample cooking capacity with extra grilling, baking, and roasting capabilities.
Sizes of Small Air Fryer:
- Air fryers with capacities of 1.0 to 2.0 quarts are ideal for single people and frying snacks.
Sizes of Large Air Fryer:
- Air fryers with capacities of 3.0 to 5.3 quarts can prepare meals and snacks for two to five persons.
- 5.8-quart air fryers with multiple cooking chambers and baking cages can cook up to a 4-pound whole chicken.
Sizes of Extra-Large Air Fryer:
- 6.5 to 10.5-quart air fryers can roast whole chickens and are versatile enough to grill, bake, make casseroles, and even make pizza.
- Air fryers with a capacity of 16.0 quarts are ideal for large families and bulk cooking.
How are Air Fryer Sizes Determined?
Air fryer models are engineered to hold a specific amount of food during the cooking cycle, and this capacity is frequently indicated in quarts, liters, or pounds.
While the models will advise you of their size capacities, these figures are indicative rather than definitive. What you can safely fit within the cooking compartment depends on the type of food you are making.
A steak, two chicken legs or wings, or a serving of sliced fries or other vegetables will take up more space than cut fries or other vegetables.
Phillips is a well-known brand of high-quality air fryers, and they measure their air fryer sizes in food poundage. Their 2.2-quart model will indicate a 1.8-pound capacity air fryer, while their 3.2-quart model will state that it is a 2.6-pound capacity air fryer.
In the United States, air fryers are sized in quarts of food. Smaller models range in capacity from 2.2 to 3.7 quarts, bigger models range in capacity from 5 to 6 quarts, and extra-large models range from 8 to 16 quarts.
Even when the models are built for use with American electrical outlets, international models refer to their air fryer capacities in liters, such as 2.0 or 4.0 liters.
Which Air Fryer Size Should I Purchase if My Counterspace Is Limited?
Logic dictates that the higher the capacity of the air fryer, the larger the model. If you only have tiny counter space available for storing an air fryer between uses, select a typical 2 to 3-quart capacity air fryer that does not take up a lot of counter space. While the 4-quart units are slightly larger than the four-slice toaster, they still take up the same amount of room.
However, if you’re searching for a larger machine with a larger capacity for food, you may want to consider keeping your air fryer behind the counter or in a cabinet. As with storing pots and pans in an out-of-sight storage place, you can store an air fryer wherever there is available room.
You can measure the area in which the air fryer will be placed to determine the appropriate model size when shopping. A variety of convenient, quick-reference air fryer charts is available online that compare many typical air fryers with capacities ranging from 2 to 16 quarts and their counter space dimensions.
What is size air fryer required to cook a whole chicken?
A whole chicken is one of the most popular items to cook and serve in an air fryer. This method does require a larger air fryer, 5.3 quarts or more because even the smallest whole chicken can weigh more than 3 pounds and will not readily fit into the usual 2 to 4-quart capacity models without breaking the chicken’s backbone. An air fryer that can roast a whole chicken, as well as one rabbit, two capons, or a pair of tiny birds like pheasants, is an excellent investment because it allows you to cook multiple birds simultaneously.
Several famous name-brand air fryers are adequate for roasting whole chickens and come equipped with rotisserie forks or spinning spits to ensure perfect even temperature cooking.
The variants with a bigger capacity include accessories such as baking cages and racks for layering different sorts of cuisine. These indispensable gadgets aid in a variety of cooking and baking processes. Along with roasting a whole chicken, oil-free fried meats, seafood, and veggies are still available. Larger units can bake casseroles, miniature cakes, lasagna, pizza, quiche, bread, and muffins.
Depending on your cooking skills and how often you plan to cook meals, snacks, and desserts, you may want to consider a larger air fryer for your small or large family.
Toaster, toaster oven, convection oven, and bread machine all take up counter space, but a large air fryer may easily replace them with diverse culinary applications. Not only do you get all these features in one appliance, but you also free up vital counter space for additional kitchen items like mug trees and butcher blocks.
Read more: What Family Size Air Fryer Do You Need?
How to Select an Air Fryer for Your Kitchen
- Most of the best-known air fryers include LCD digital or analog controls and displays that you may choose from.
- Each air fryer has a different amount of pre-programmed modes. Pre-setting your frequent times is an option on some devices. The number of temperature settings and wet/dry cooking modes available in an air fryer should meet your needs.
- An automatic On/Off control means you don’t have to be near the food while it’s cooking unless your recipe requires you to turn the dish over.
- Please choose a model based on the number of cooking chambers it has to offer. If you’re looking for an air fryer that allows you to cook more than one food item at a time, look for a model that has multiple cooking compartments.
- Check out the additional culinary options available in the model size you choose if you want to do more than fry in an air fryer. Grilling, roasting, and baking can also be done in larger air fryers. Some versions come with the necessary rakes, rotisserie forks, and bake cages, while others require additional purchases to purchase this equipment.
Whether you have a little or a large kitchen, are single or have a small or large family, party frequently, there is an air fryer that will satisfy your cooking aspirations. With some research, you can select an air fryer that fits your cooking needs precisely.
Cooking using an air fryer allows you and your family to experience the taste and flavors of the cuisine without the lingering smell of fried dishes in the kitchen. If you’ve just cooked fish, there should be no smoke cloud in the air or fishy odors. This is a genuine and significant dining advantage.
Once you’ve experienced the simplicity of cooking with an air fryer, tasted the exquisite meals, and reaped the health advantages associated with cooking with a small amount of oil or no oil at all, you’ll wonder how you ever survived without this thoroughly modern kitchen device.